AGS currently offers two scholarships each year to two qualified applicants. They are the AGS Educational Scholarship and the John Howland Scholarship. The awards are in the amount of $500 each at present.
Interest from AGS Scholarship dedicated CDs is used to fund the AGS Scholarship. This scholarship began in 1988 with Board approval of a Youth Committee recommendation.
The John Howland Scholarship was created in 2000 to honor John Howland for his dedication to AGS. It is a yearly budget line item. Depending on the interest rates, the CDs can fund part or all of the John Howland Scholarship as well. Anyone wanting to donate to the Scholarship CD to increase the principle in order for more interest to be available to fund both or more should contact the office.
AGS Scholarship Rules
In action taken by the Board of Directors in 2001, the AGS Youth Scholarship has been changed to the AGS Educational Scholarship. This makes this fund accessible to ’older’ students that may qualify.
Requirements for application are:
- Currently a regular or junior member of AGS; child, or grandchild of an AGS member. Or member is the legal guardian of the applicant. Dues must be paid no later than February 1st of the current year to be eligible to apply for scholarships. (BOD 2005)
- Senior in high school or enrolled in an accredited university, college or trade school.
- The qualifying member will have maintained membership in AGS for at least two years.
- A grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained by the student each year in order to maintain the AGS scholarship. Scholarship is limited to 4 years.
- Submit an essay describing your experiences with dairy goats. Indicate what you have done, learned, and any awards or personal rewards you have gained.
- Submit two letters of reference.
Applications are individually scored by the members of the Youth Committee. The highest score receives the scholarship. In the event of a tie, the committee members vote to determine the recipient. Scoring is done as follows:
|Experiences in dairy goat project & activities||35%|
|Experiences in leadership||25%|
|Experiences not goat related||20%|
|Neatness & organization of application||10%|
The deadline for submitting applications each year is May 1st. Applications can be obtained from the AGS office or in the Spring issue of the VOICE. Applications should be submitted to the office which will then send copies to members of the scholarship committee.
Anyone may contribute to the AGS Scholarship Fund in any amount by simply sending a check or money order to the AGS office and specifying where the money should go. This is a tax-deductible contribution.